Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Book Marketing Buzz interviews Karina Lumbert Fabian about "Why God Matters"

Book Marketing Buzz
June 1, 2010

Shining the Book Promotion Spotlight on Karina Fabian

by Dorothy Thompson

Karina (Lumbert) Fabian was born into the Catholic faith, but truly grew to love it as an adult. As a busy mother of four, she finds some of her strongest encounters with God’s love happen in the ordinary events of the day-to-day.  Karina started her writing career with diocesan newspapers but has settled into writing fun-filled fantasy and science fiction that nonetheless incorporates the principles of faith-filled living. Her website is http://www.karinafabian.com/ and her blog is at http://fabianspace.blogspot.com.

Welcome to Book Marketing Buzz, Karina.  Can you tell us what was the first thing you did to promote your book once your publisher accepted your manuscript?
With Why God Matters, I submitted it for the Catholic Writers Guild Seal of Approval. The CWG evaluates books for how well the content adheres to the teaching of the Catholic Faith. It’s a great way to let Catholic bookstores know that this book is appropriate for their shelves.
For my fiction, I start the buzz before I the book comes out. I blog about my writing adventures, often including snippets of my writing, and I re-run these as we get near publishing day. I also have a lot of online relationships through Facebook and Twitter and Yahoo groups. I let folks know what’s up. For DragonEye, PI, my favorite universe to write in, I have a bi-monthly e-book that gets thousands of viewers. When the book is finally out, I already have folks interested.
If you had to pick just one book marketing tool that you’ve used to promote your book, which would you say has been the most effective?
Virtual book tours are a great way to get the word out. They’re easy to plan and execute and get the word out pretty effectively, IMHO.
Do you do more promoting online or offline and which do you prefer?
Online, especially since I’m not in the brick-and-mortar stores for the most part. People are going to order my book online after getting interested in it, not pull it off the shelf and buy it. I do in-person signings, but these are always a hit-and-miss operation.
Do you use social networks such as Twitter and Facebook to promote your books and have you had any success with it?
I do, but it’s hard to judge success in terms of actual sales. I do have a lot of fans, though, and I enjoy the interaction.
Do you own a blog and how often do you update it?  Did you set up your blog solely to promote your book and what is its effectiveness?
I blog twice a week on www.fabianspace.com. Mondays is my anything goes day–often about whatever’s going on in life, though sometimes I give advice or discuss some issue that’s dear to me. On Thursdays, I write about my adventures with whatever novel I’m writing. Usually, it’s a combination of my experience, some writing advice and a quip from the work in progress.  Right now, I’m writing about my adventures with Neeta Lyffe, Zombie Exterminator.
Do you recommend authors getting publicists to help them promote their books?  Do you have one?
I’ve never had a publicist, though my publisher, Tribute Books, is spoiling me by having Pump Up Your Book Promotions run my June virtual book tour. We’re working on it together, so it will be huge and awesome, I’m sure! I think if I ever get a contract with a publisher that will put my book in the brick-and-mortar stores, I will get a publicist. They can get me access to offline publicity that I really don’t have the time or experience to get for myself.
If an author prefers to do it alone rather than hire a publicist, where should they  start?
I have a class I teach on marketing basics. We cover online and some offline methods. I teach it three or four times a year at www.fabianspace.com. I also have a task-driven newsletter. Each week, I’ll present you with four tasks, under 30 minutes each, that you can do to promote your book. I tell you how to do it and give you links for more info. Look under the Kickstart Marketing menu. Otherwise, there are some terrific free newsletters out there. I also like Carolyn Howard-Johnson’s Frugal Book Promoter. It got me started.
Thank you for this interview, Karina.  We wish you much success!
Thanks so much. I’d like to let folks know that if they buy Why God Matters: And How to Recognize Him in Daily Life, they can get an autographed bookplate from me by contacting me via my website, www.fabianspace.com.

1 comment:

Karina Fabian said...

Thanks for posting this here, and thanks again for such an awesome opportunity. Steve and I are very proud of this book and hope it will help people see God's love in their lives.