Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A note on the dedication for "Why God Matters"

Pretty Prosperous Powerful
June 2, 2010

"Personal Note and Dedication to Me from Karina Fabian, a Very Special Author"

posted by Lacresha Hayes

"Thank you, LaCresha"
by Karina Fabian

On May 15th, Tribute Books published a small book on Catholic spirituality and living, Why God Matters and How to Recognize Him in Daily Life, by Karina Lumbert Fabian and Deacon Steve Lumbert. This is my first non-fiction book, and my father's first book ever.

We would never have done this had it not been for LaCresha and her wonderful Yahoo! group, Write, Publish Market.

I joined WPM about a year ago because I was interested in finding new ways to market my books and to share with folks some of my marketing ideas and experience. I also like to pass on things I learn to other groups I'm in, like the Catholic Writers Guild.

A post by Nicole Langan entitled, "Looking for a Catholic Writer," caught my eye. Nicole was looking for an author to write a small book on short notice to fill a hole in their production schedule. I figured if I couldn't help, I knew plenty of Catholic writers who could.

Nicole knew exactly what she wanted, right down to format: personal stories about faith in the everyday, with some practical tips for readers, and Bible verses. The more we discussed the idea, the more I wanted to do it. Not only was the format similar to work I'd done for another publisher, it occurred to me that I could get my father to co-author with me, broadening the scope of the book and making for some fun father-daughter bonding.

Nicole had a tight deadline--one reason, I believe, that she posted her request on WPM, which has a hundreds of members who are actively seeking writing gigs. My father and I had a very intense, very fun week of IMing stories back and forth. It's the first time in a long time that we'd worked together on a project. My father's already eager to do another one!

In the end, this turned out to be more than a book contract--it was a chance for father and daughter to reconnect, and an opportunity for us to share our faith and our stories with others. I feel richer for having done this, but I also know that I never would have imagined taking on such a project on my own. It was Nicole's post on LaCresha's group that led me to this wonderful place.

Thank you, LaCresha. Though you never planned it, you have blessed our lives.

No comments: